Update as of Wednesday, July 29th: Preparing for Fall 2020 Move-In
Although fall move-in may look slightly different this semester, there are still lots of ways for students moving into residence halls to feel at home while living sustainably.
For students and their families, please consider the following tips to make settling in at FSU a smoother and more sustainable transition:
- Bring fabric face masks that can be washed and reused.
- Coordinate with roommates to avoid duplicate items like shower curtains and hooks, bathroom cleaning supplies, bathmats, microwaves, coffee pots, and entertainment items.
- Choose a water filter and reusable water bottle instead of cases of plastic bottles. When out and about on campus, fill up your bottle at one of our touchless hydration stations.
- Bring only the essentials. Don't rely on lists from retailers to tell you what you need. Shop smart for only the things you need.
- Bring only seasonal clothes. Leave cold weather gear home and pick it up over the winter break!
- When purchasing items for residence hall rooms, try to buy items that can be reused in the next apartment or house. (Lots of students buy twin XL sheets with a queen size comforter for their residence hall room so they can reuse the comforter in their next home).
- Limit decorations or consider decorating with plants to freshen the air and keep the space peaceful and uncluttered.
- Pack with moving out in mind. Moving out is probably the last thing on anyone's mind while moving in, but everything that goes in must come out. The less you bring, the less work there will be to clean and move out during the busy end of the semester.
Update as of Tuesday, March 31st:
Due to COVID-19 concerns, we have made the difficult decision to close the Seminole Organic Garden for gardening this semester. We are planning to reopen the Seminole Organic Garden for rentals in Fall 2020. We miss sharing garden work days with you and hope to see you in the fall.
Update as of Thursday, March 26th:
- The Division of Student Affairs has provided a list of virtual resources for FSU students at studentaffairs.fsu.edu/virtualfsu. Check it out for:
- Active Anywhere workouts from Campus Rec
- Teleheath and Telemental health services from University Health Services and the University Counseling Center
- Connections to RSOs
- Career support and counseling provided by the Career Center
- Tons more!
As of Friday, March 20th, Sustainable Campus staff have transitioned to working remotely. For the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester:
- All reCycle Bike renters who are in Tallahassee over the coming weeks should return their bikes to University Cycles on 668 West Gaines Street anytime during normal business hours (10-6, Monday-Friday, 10-5 Saturday, closed Sunday). Please return your bike, u-lock, and key as soon as possible.
- Seminole Organic Garden work hours have been canceled.
- Food Recovery Network recoveries have been canceled.
- All in-person Earth Month events have been canceled. Any events that can be transitioned to online will be posted on our blog and/or social media channels (@fsusustainable). Join us online for our Digital Earth Month!
- Sustainable Campus is available for questions via email at SustainableCampus@fsu.edu or through direct messages @fsusustainable.